1. Know the things that goes in your tank. You can definitely increase the lifespan of your septic tank by means of being cognizant regarding the various kinds of things you place in it. Be certain not to place any cigarette ends, diapers, coffee grounds, cooking oil, wet tissues, napkins, fats and other substances that are non-biodegradable. These non-biodegradable substances are capable of causing blockage in the septic tank which would require you to have an expensive repair job.
2. Preserve the drain field. The drain field is the main section of your septic tank which aids to take away the solid wastes from the liquid ones. Here are a number of tips that can assist you to preserve your drain field for so long. Be certain not to park your car close to the drain field. The trees must be planted at a safe distance from the place in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field. In addition, be certain to keep the drainage water systems such as the gutters and sump pumps away from the drain field area.
3. Assess the septic tank every now and then. In order to prolong the normal functioning of a septic tank, it is vital that you have a periodic inspection as well as proper upkeep of the septic tank by a profession.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. The septic tank necessitates to be pumped out at least every 2 years in order to make sure that all of the solid waste products will be broken down very well. Pumping the septic tank on a regular basis will not only improve its life, but will also prevent future system failure.
5. Control the utilization of household chemicals. One of the things that can cause the septic tank to malfunction is excessive utilization of household chemicals such as detergent, bleach, drain cleaner and so forth. These household chemicals have the capability to prevent the bacteria inside the tank to breakdown the waste in it.
6. Ask some help from the experts. When it comes to maintenance as well as cleaning of the septic tank, it is vital that you rely on the assistance of the experts. The septic tank service provider will visit your place and meticulously assess your septic tank for signs of leaks as well as damages. They will examine the scum and the sludge layers so as to find out what is the source of the problem. And even though you just find out just a very small problem with your septic tank, it is always highly recommended that you call a professional for any assistance.